Hello and welcome to Papa Mummy Kitchen 🙂
In this post we’re going to share a famour Bihari recipe – Thekua which is prepared on the special occasion of Chath Pooja and offered to Chath Mata as a part of the Pooja.
This recipe has slight sweetness to it and tastes like a simple cookie made of wheat flour and Jaggery. In different parts of Bihar the shape of these cookies varies from a simple circular disk with slight designs to beautifully carved floral designs.
In our recipe, we’ll share some simple tricks to make beautiful and attractive Thekuas with floral designs.
So, let’s get started!
Bihari Thekua Recipe | ठेकुआ रेसिपी
- 1/2 cup Jaggery (गुड़ – १/२ कप)
- 2 tbsp Desi Ghee (देशी घी - २ चम्मच)
- 3/4 cup All purpose flour (मैदा – ३/४ कप)
- 1/4 cup Wheat flour (गेहूँ का आटा – १/४ कप)
- 1/4 cup Desiccated Coconut (नारियल का चूरा – १/४ कप)
- 1/2 tsp Cardamom powder (इलाइची पाउडर – १/२ छोटा चम्मच)
- 1/2 tsp Fennel seeds (सौंफ – १/२ छोटा चम्मच)
- to deep fry Edible Oil (खाद्य तेल - तलने के अनुसार)
- Detailed instructions for preparing Thekua are explained in the video below.
- Knead a hard dough for Thekua. A softer dough may lead to hard Thekuas that may be tough to bite into. As a thumb rule, try to knead the dough similar to that of a regular Puri.
- Since Thekuas are prepared thick, it is important to ensure that while cooking the oil temperature is kept between low to medium. This will ensure that the outer layer is cooked to a nice crispiness and the inner core is also cooked sufficiently.