In this post we will prepare a Travel Special recipe – Instant Upma Mix. This recipe is easy to store and super-easy to use.
I think one of the most challenging things about travel, if you are a vegetarian individual or if you are going on a trek for several days, is having access to good Indian food that can be prepared in the comfort of your hotel room or with minimum number of appliances. We invariably end-up relying on Raman or Noodles or Maggie – and while that is a good option, an Indian taste-bud demands some traditional food every once in a while.
This is where this Upma mix comes to your rescue. All that you need to use this is a heating kettle in your room – which is available in almost every hotel these days. Even if you’re backpacking in some distant location far far away from the rest of the world all that you need is access to some hot water – which typically shouldn’t be that big of a challenge if you’re a regular backpacker.
So on your next trip, all that you need to do is just pack this mix with you in a tiffin-box or a zip lock pack. When hungry – add this mix to a cup or a bowl, pour some steaming hot water to it and voila – there you have it – your very own, home made Upma!
Instant Upma Mix | इन्सटेंट रवा उपमा मिक्स
- 1 cup Semolina (रवा (सूजी) - १ कप)
- 2 tbsp Desi Ghee (देशी घी - २ चम्मच)
- 1 tbsp Split Chickpeas (चना दाल - १ चम्मच)
- 1 tbsp Black Gram (उडद दाल - १ चम्मच)
- 1 tsp Black Mustard seeds (राई - १ छोटा चम्मच)
- 2 Green Chilli, finely chopped (हरी मिर्च - २, बरीक कटी हुई)
- 2 Onion, finely chopped (प्याज - २, बारीक कटे हुए)
- 35 leaves Curry leaves (कढी पत्ता - ३० से ४० पत्ते)
- 1/4 cup Coriander leaves (धनिया – १/४ कप)
- 1 pinch Turmeric powder (हल्दी पाउडर - १ चुटकी)
- 1/2 tsp Salt (नमक – १/२ छोटा चम्मच)
- Follow the detailed step-by-step instructions shared in the video below