|| Shree Ganeshay Namah ||
Firstly, if you’re reading this blog during Ganesh Charturti, let me wish you all a very Happy Ganesh Chaturti! Hope lord Ganesha always observes his blessings upon you and your loved ones 🙂
Did you know that Ganesh Chaturti is known to have been celebrated in Pune since many centuries ago. Even Chatrapati Shivaji observed this festival in its most colorful and auspicious form.
In this blog we are sharing the recipe for Lord Ganesha’s favorite sweet – Modak. Modak, in its original form was prepared with Rice, Jaggery and Desiccated Coconut. Over the years, as the festival of Ganesh Chaturti has moved out of Pune – Maharashtra to across the world, so has the liking for the delicious Modak. These days, Modak is prepared in a variety of different forms:
- Besan ke Modak
- Mawa (Khoya) ke Modak
- Chocolate Modak
- Dry-fruit Modak
- Biscuit ke Modak, and many others
Despite all these varieties, the one that holds the place for the most authentic Modak is still the Rice, Jaggery and Coconut Modak. You’ll notice the difference in its taste, compared to other Modaks, in the very first bite!
So let’s start with today’s recipe for Traditional Steamed Modak!
Steamed Modak Recipe | उकडीचे मोदक
- 2.5 tbsp Desi Ghee (देशी घी – १+१ चम्मच + १/२ छोटा चम्मच)
- 1 cup Rice Flour (चावल का आटा - १ कप)
- 1/2 cup Desiccated Coconut (नारियला का चूरा – १/२ कप)
- 1/4 cup Jaggery (beaten) (गुड़ (कूटा हुआ) – १/४ कप)
- 1/2 tsp Cardamom powder (इलाइची पाउडर – १/२ छोटा चम्मच)
- 1 tbsp Almonds (chopped) (बादाम (कटे हुए) - १ चम्मच)
- 1 tbsp Pistachios (chopped) (पिस्ता (कटे हुए) - १ चम्मच)
- Follow the detailed instructions shared in the video below